Monday, January 23, 2012

Thai Basil Pesto Recipe

I love basil! Currently I have an abundance of Sweet Basil and Thai Basil.

In my garden in Brisbane it grows really well considering I water it occasionally but other than that it gets neglected.

Yesterday I cut back my Thai Basil. I kept the flowers and put them in a vase in the kitchen. Apparently Basil is a fly repellent but I just love the sight and smell of them. Makes washing up tolerable!


With the leaves I made Thai Basil pesto.

Thai Basil Pesto Recipe 


I found this recipe on www.myrecipes.com

The deep, toasty notes of dark sesame oil enhance this Asian version of the classic Italian sauce. Toss with rice noodles, or dollop on fish or chicken. You can also stir a few tablespoons into a simple meat and vegetable stir-fry. Freeze small portions of the pesto in ice cube trays; transfer to a zip-top plastic bag, and store in the freezer for up to two months

Ingredients

2 cups fresh Thai basil leaves
2 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves


Preparation

Place all ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pesto. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

I started off in the food processor, but quickly changed to the mortar and pestle. I found this much better and will do this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment